Who have been or are your biggest influences?
For each person you’ve identified as an influence in your life, consider the following:
- Do they know how much they have influenced you? (don’t assume anything!)
- Are they a positive or negative influence?
Positive influencers can be many things. Here’s a few examples:
- make you feel happy
- help you grow spiritually
- mentor you in a work capacity
If they’ve been a good influence on you:
- Have you told them that?
- Have you thanked them?
Go on, tell them the next time you’re speaking to them, it may well make their day!
Negative influencers can be many things. Here’s a few examples:
- make you feel worthless/useless
- encourage you to do/say things that you don’t agree with
- continually mood or talk negatively
How long have you know they are a negative influence you? Or have I just focused your thoughts so you could identify them for the first time?
Take control of your live! Don’t let negative influences continue to influence you. I don’t mean you have to stop talking to the people you feel are negative influences on you – I just think it’s more about you taking control of your life, and deciding for yourself what and who influences you. I have people in my life who are bad influences on me, so I know I need to take my own advice and not let these people influence me in this way any longer.
The Change by Steven Curtis Chapman: